The Live Query Statistics viewer is available in both the server and database level "Activity" view that shows live/executing SQL requests.
It is loaded by clicking on any SQL request.
The functionality of this view is intended to focus on identifying the active operators in a live request quickly and verifying the accuracy of the estimated execution plan versus actual execution.
Live Query Statistics are only available in miniDBA when connected to SQL Server 2016 SP1
and above. The SQL Server must have Trace Flag 7412 (Lightweight statistics profiling infrastructure) enabled. Use the following T-SQL to enable the flag:
DBCC TRACEON (7412, -1);
The viewer defaults to showing the "Plan Operators" tab which shows each operator on the left. Any operators that have complete execution are listed first, this can be seen by looking at the "Complete" column.
Execution plan operator reference list on MSDN
The performance related columns for each execution plan operator are:
- Rows Per Sec: Data throughput of the operator and is colored orange if there is any activity. This allows you to easily identify the operators that are currently active.
- Est Rows: Amount of rows expected to be processed based on the stored estimated execution plan. This meta data comes from column statistics and is frequently out of date leading to estimated and actual number of rows being different.
- Current Row Count: Amount of rows that have been processed by the operator so far.
- % Complete of Estimated: Current row count compared to estimated rows. This % may become extremely high if index statistics are out of date and the estimated rows are significantly smaller than the actual rows.
- Complete: All rows have been processed for that operator
- Inacurracy %: When complete shows how inaccurate the estimate row count is. Use this to reindex or update statistics, the more inaccurate the more you need to get the statistics updated.
- Db Name: Database the operator is operating in.
- Object:Optional - may be a table.
- Index:Optional - operator may be using an index.
- Index Type:Optional - heap or clustered.
- Statistics Date:Date the the index statistics were last updated - the newer the better.
Notice the "Refresh" button above the grid. Clicking this will query the executing request and update the grid with the most up to date query statistics.
Next to the refresh button is "% Complete of Estimated Rows" indicator. This is a sum of all operators estimated and actual row counts so allows you to see how far through the expected data the request has processed. In SQL Management Studio a more basic version of this number is displayed at the bottom of an active request window "Executing Query %" and stops at 100%, which is less accurate as many requests exceed 100% of expected data processing.
The execution plan XML is shown in the next tab along "XML".
Click the "Open in Graphical Tool" button to open the plan as a .sqlplan file in Windows. If SQL Management studio or other application is installed and registered to handle .sqlplan files that app will show the plan.
This functionality is available in the free single sql connection version of miniDBA Desktop and above.